This Diaper Cake guide is a quick, simple, step-by-step description for building a diaper cake. It’s a creative way to give a gift at a baby shower that is a very practical gift for the parents to be. I tried 3 different styles of making DIY diaper cakes. This is by far the best.
There is another way where you wrap each individual diaper in a roll and tape it, creating a solid base. I’ve made this kind as well, however, the parents have said they don’t like hunting for the tape. I found this way was just as pretty and didn’t take as long to put together. Don’t worry about paying for one on Etsy, you can easily do this yourself in under an hour.
1. Begin with a cake pan or cookie tin. Start by fanning the diapers out so that they line up like above.
2. Keep going until you’ve filled in the whole circle.
3. Put a large rubber band around the middle of the layer
4. Place 3 toilet paper rolls in the center of the layer and hot glue a 4th to them on the edges.
5. Take some large paper (12×12 pack) and cut a circle out. I used the pan lid to know approximate size. Then cut a hole in the middle and place on the top layer. (Some people choose to put confetti down instead.)
6. Build the second layer of the diaper cake just like the first, but you’ll need less diapers. Slide that layer over the toilet paper roll and then add a small cut out paper to the top.
7. Wrap just a few diapers up with a rubber band for the top layer of the cake. This layer can balance on top of the paper.
8. Now you want to cover the rubber bands on each layer. You can do so with Ribbon, paper, or fabric. I chose ribbon for this baby shower cake. Keep in mind to glue the ribbon to itself, so that you don’t mess up any diapers – since they are the gift!
Now for the fun part! Decorate your cake!
I added another layer of ribbon and then hot glued some paper initials to the ribbon. I cut out the baby’s initials and then painted on top of them. I’ve also seen people add pacifiers, rubber ducks, wash rags and other small gifts to the layers of cake. Get creative!
Hope you enjoy! Keep in mind that I tried 3 different ways to make a diaper cake and this is my favorite.