You’ve seen them on pinterest and drooled a little on your desk…yes, I know. The problem is a lot of the pictures don’t go to blogs that tell you how to make the delicious baked apples. Lucky you! You’ve found the recipe to make your healthier version of apple pie, by putting the filling right in the apple.
Warning! These take a LONG TIME to make. It’s the gentle hollowing out of the apples that make these time consuming. I am going to recommend making ~4 to start and not biting off more than you can chew with 10, like me (see what I did there ;)
I will give them this- they are very good. Well worth the time.
I am including basic instructions with pictures and at the end I’ll have ingredients for making 4 or 10. If you like them, leave a comment. If you don’t like them- tell us why.
Pie filling for 10 apples:
- remove the core (hard center & seeds) of the apple.
- Dice up all the apple from hollowed out apples into 1/2 inch bites. Peel and cut up one additional apple.
- Add 1 cup of sugar
- 3 Tbs Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg (or more if you like nutmeg)
- 2 Tbs flour
Mix 2-7 up together very well. It will feel like it is too dry, but when the apples bake they release a lot of apple juice.
8. Get out 1 pre-made crust (or you can use home made)
9. Cut up 4Tbs of butter into small squares. Add 1-2 small pieces of butter to the top of each filled apple (this is optional, but it’s a good option.)
10. Next, we will roll out pie crust and use a favorite cookie cutter to cut our pie lids. This is much faster than doing the traditional pie lattice on top.
11. Once the crust has been added to the top, bake them for 30 minutes at 350 fahrenheit.
Keep it healthier or serve with ice cream. You only live once.
If you are making just 4 Apple Pie baked apples – you will still need an extra apple in order to have plenty of apple pie filling. However, use the following measurements:
- Remove the core from each apple (hard center & seeds.)
- Cut up all the apple from hollowed out apples into 1/2 inch bites.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 Tbs Cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (or more if you like nutmeg)
- 1 Tbs flour
Mix 1-7 all up together very well. It will feel like it is too dry, but when the apples bake they release a lot of apple juice.
- Add the pie filling to each of the 4 hollowed out apples.
Cut a Tbs of butter into 4 squares. Add a square piece of butter to the top of each filled apple (this is optional, but it’s a good option.)
- Get out 1 pre-made crust (or you can use home made.) Use a cookie cutter to cut out 4 crusts for the top of each apple. Place on top of each apple.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.